Wednesday, July 21, 2010

How do you feel about a 'diet'?


I don't cover my diet or weight loss journey here too much, but my life (and diet) have been changing! I mention this now, because what I do post here (recopies and the like) are bound to experience a makeover as a result. :)
Under my doctors supervision and direction I have been following an anti-inflammatory diet for the last three or four weeks. This means no wheat, animal dairy of any kind, no potatoes, corn, peanuts, tomatoes, oranges or grapefruit, and really trying to eliminate all processes foods from my diet.
I can eat all veggies, fruits, chicken, turkey, eggs, wild game, fish, now shellfish (added back today -woo hoo!), olive oil, nuts, coconut products, quinoa, rice, rye, spelt (also added today) and other non-wheat grains.
What I am finding amazing is just how common corn and potatoes are - they are in everything!!!
But, here we go with the healthy stuff! I am finding that I really like this doctor, and while I'm still getting over my cold, I'm feeling pretty good! Really, growing up in semi-rural Alaska, this is the diet I grew up on, it will be an interesting journey discovering how my body likes the diet as an adult. :)

Quinoa with Shrimp, Carrots and Zucchini
Serves two, or dinner for one with lunch leftovers. :)

2 cups cooked quinoa
10 large pre-cooked shrimp
1/4 medium white onion
10 baby carrots
5 shitaki mushrooms
2 small cloves garlic
1 tbsp olive oil

I have a rice maker, but still don't like to wait for my grains to cook - I make a big batch, and then freeze rice or other grains in two person servings, so I can have dinner done quickly. :)

Heat/cook you quinoa, set aside.
Warn a medium pan, add olive oil, onions, garlic, mushrooms, and carrots and let them sweat at a low to medium temperature releasing the sweetness of onions and carrots, and flavoring the mushrooms and oil.
Once your carrots are cooked to your desired doneness (I like mine still a bit crunchy) add your shrimp and zucchini. Cook for another minute or two just until you shrimp are warmed up - over cooked shrimp are rubbery and over cooked zucchini is mushy, so watch this step closely.
Top your quinoa with shrimp and veggies and enjoy! :)

No comments: