Sunday, September 27, 2009

Dutch Baby for breakfast


My mantra this weekend has been "I am not sick, I am not sick, I am not sick!"
... but I'm kind of sick.

So, true to form, I bake. I don't know why, but there is something about baking that is so comforting (yes, I know, there I go again. It may really be my favorite word). I love a warm kitchen, a house that smells sweet and spicy. I find great joy in an hour or two in the kitchen with a mug of hot tea.

Yesterday David ventured out to the gym without my sick behind, so I made myself breakfast for a change. (Yes, he is still making breakfast in bed, I love it!) :)

Raspberry Dutch Baby
(Adapted from a recipe found in the Seattle Times)
This is a very versatile recipe, you can use any fruit you would like, or even change it to savory and add veggies and bacon. Just treat this like a fancy pancake and add whatever toppings you love.

1/4 cup butter
3 large eggs
3/4 cup milk (I use non-fat because that is all I ever have in our house)
3/4 cup flour (I have used white and wheat, works with both)
toppings of your choice

Put butter in a 2-quart cast iron skillet (yes, I bought my cast iron skillet solely for this recipe!), toss in the oven and pre-heat to 425 degrees.
While the butter melts, quickly mix the batter. Mix the eggs until they are a light lemony yellow. With the mixer running (or if you are whisking, keep at it), slowly add the milk and then the flour. Continue mixing for 30 seconds.
Pour the batter into the pan. Do not attempt to incorporate the melted butter. If you are adding savory toppings (veggies or canadian bacon), toss them on top of your pancake now.
Bake 22 to 25 minutes, until puffed and browned on the edges and the center is golden brown.
If you are making a sweet pancake, heat up your fruit while the pancake is baking. I love fresh strawberries with this, but have also heated up strawberries, raspberries and blueberries in a sauce pan with a little sugar. This makes a syrupy fruit glaze (similar to jam) that is may be my favorite pancake topping!

No comments: