Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Using up ricotta

Why do they sell ricotta is such large containers? I bought some because I had a coupon and had read some article indicating that ricotta was good for dips and things. Needless to say, I never made that recipe, so this gigantic container of ricotta has been sitting in my fridge for a week and now we are going on vacation! What is a girl to do?
lol... this girl bakes!

I found this recipe on Cooks.com, though I would recommend some alterations (to follow):

Pineapple Ricotta Cheese Muffins
1 egg
Oil (I used olive oil because I forgot that I have some unrefined coconut oil, next time I am going to try the coconut!)
1 1/2 c. light Ricotta cheese
15 oz. can crushed pineapple drained (I used a can of tidbits, but next time I think I am going to use some fresh pineapple)
2 c. all purpose flour (I used 1 c. white and 1 c. wheat flour)
1/2 c. sugar (I stuck to the recipe here, but may try brown sugar next time for a more pineapple upside down cake taste)
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

In a measuring cup place the egg and enough oil to make 1/2 cup. Add the oil and egg mixture to the ricotta cheese and mix until smooth. Add the crushed pineapple. Now you are supposed to mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then add them in, but does anyone really do that? I certainly don't, lol... I dumped in all of my dry ingredients and gave them a little mix while they were on top of my wet stuff, and then mixed (aka 'blended gently') everything together. Who wants another dirty bowl?
Divide among 12 muffin cups. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.

Just a note:
My dough was very thick and I kind of questioned dividing amongst only 12 muffins because the cups were overflowing, but go with it, the dough didn't really rise/move much, these are dense and creamy muffins that really reminded me of pineapple upside down cake!

Oh, and did I mention that my light ricotta has 7 grams of protein per 1/4 cup? Oh yes, delicious muffins!

No comments: