Friday, June 11, 2010

Blueberry welcome muffins

David's parents arrived last night for their annual visit, so I had baked some blueberry muffins, added some fruit and magazines, a few 'hello and welcome!' treats.  :) 
I feel like it is always nice to have a basket of homemade/healthy snacks when you are staying in a hotel on vacation.  How do you wlecome family?


Blueberry Muffins
I' m not sure where I found this recipe, but I use it often.  The muffins come out so large and fluffy you would think they are store bought, but the secret is in the yogurt! 

3 cups flour (I have mixed this, half white and half wheat with good results)
1 TBSP baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

10 TBSP unsalted butter (1 1.4 sticks) softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs

1 1/2 cups plain yogurt - I just use whatever I have, plain, vanilla, lemon, blueberry, greek, I have even had to supplement my yogurt with a little lite sour cream - it all works.  :)
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1 1.2 cups blueberries (don't add extra here, your muffins will fall apart!  lol....)
1 TBSP flour if you are using defrosted frozen berries

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees

Wisk together dry ingredients in a small bowl.

Beat butter sugar and eggs together, one egg at a time.
Add 1/2 of your dry ingredients to your wet, mix.
Add 1/2 of the yogurt, mix.
Mix in the remaining dry mixture, and then then last half of the yogurt. 
Gently fold in your blueberries and lemon zest if using.

Fill a standard 12 muffin tin - it will look full, but trust me, they bake up beautifully!  You can sprinkle a bit of sugar on the tops of the muffins if you are going for that coffee shop experience.  :)
Bake muffins until golden 25-30 minutes.  Let muffins cool in the tin for about 10 minutes before turning them out to cool completely. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great welcome basket! Blueberry muffins are YUMMY! :)