Saturday, June 23, 2012

Today I ran my first half marathon.

Wow!  I started the day taking the bus down to the Seattle Center.  The bus was full of runners and I kept thinking 'these are my people!'  Silly I know, but so fun to share something so positive with such a huge group.
People were friendly and chatty while we waited our turn to start.  I talked with a woman, Gail, who in her 70s has done 15 half marathons with several more planned for this year!  And the ever so sweet Melinda and Melissa in their purple tutus!  They really helped calm my nerves and before too long coral 30 was off and running through downtown Seattle.  One of my co-workers came to cheer me on (which was so amazing!) and before I knew it we were out of the city headed south.  I had a pretty crazy side cramp from miles 2.5 to 3.5 - in all of my training I haven't had any cramps!  It kind of made for a rough start but the side stitch finally went away after a bit of water and gatoraide.
Miles 4 through 11 I loved!  The weather was beautiful, the scenery amazing, I didn't have any blisters, and couldn't have asked for a better run.  I took in almost a full pack of strawberry cliff shot blocks and drank water at every station.  I took pictures, a little movie, I just had a great time!  That is until we hit the viaduct.  That is were things went downhill oh so very quickly.
Now don't get me wrong, running along the viaduct was beautiful, but it was like the concrete had been worn away and the remaining rocks in the road KILLED my feet.  I was in so much pain I felt like I was going to be sick.  Everyone was walking around me, miles 12 and 13 were brutal!  I jogged as much as I could, but it wasn't as much as I would have liked, especially coming from miles 10 and 11 which were amazing!
Anyway, I talked myself through finishing, got my metal (!!!) and had my picture taken.  At this point I was really wishing David had been able to be there, because finding my way out of the Seattle Center was just overwhelming, I was so very tired.  But thankfully once out a bus came right away and I could sit down.  I don't know that I have ever been so happy to sit down in my whole life.  :)
All and all running the Seattle Rock and Roll Half Marathon was an amazing experience!  Thank you Seattle for not raining on us, I am forever grateful!  (Lol... and yes, it started *pouring* as soon as I walked in the door!)

No comments: