Saturday, October 3, 2009

Henry's Sisters

I originally picked this book up because there is a tie in with a bakery. Knowing my love for foodie books, you should not be surprised by that statement, but you should be surprised by the fact that the book actually has little to do with the actual bakery, and more to do with a family struggling with their love for each other.
The book centers around the three Bommario sisters, their Dad leaves the family when they are young, and mom is forced to stoop many levels to feed the family and provide medical care for her youngest child Henry. How do you feed four kids when you have no education, no skills, no insurance, you are battling your own mental illness, and when one of your children is develop mentally disabled? I will let you discover the answer on your own, but will warn that it isn't pretty.
Struggling through a difficult childhood, and now requested to return home to care for the family bakery, a grandmother with Alzheimer's, and their brother Henry, the Bommario sisters bond together and really make strides to work out their life long issues.
What I found so incredibly touching about this book was the love that Henry offers to his somewhat dysfunctional family. It is absolute and unconditional, love that teaches you a lesson while reading a novel.
I don't want to spoil the ending, but I have to tell you that after finishing the book I read a good 5 pages of the ending aloud to my friend Carrie, trying not to cry and failing miserably.
It is just a fiction novel, nothing fancy; but I have to tell you, I was so touched by this book.

No comments: