Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Old friends and farmers market squash

This last weekend David and I met an old friend Robert and his fiance Katherine for a wander around the Ballard Farmers Market and then lunch at their house. We really had a great time, though it was strange seeing someone I hadn't seen since high school! I was surprised by how much and at the same time how little Robert had changed, which I guess in turn made me question my own changes.
We got together at the Ballard Farmers Market - which by the way is now my favorite Seattle area market, things were far less expensive than what I have seen from the University Market or the Broadway Market and they have so many food booths! I picked up some really nice winter acorn squash, brought them home, stuffed and roasted them for our weekday lunches!



Okay, they aren't pretty, but they are sooooooo tasty!

Stuffed Winter Acorn Squash


2 large acorn squash
3 large links of turkey sausage (I used a sweet Italian style)
1 cup diced celery
1/2 diced apple
finely diced onion (to taste)
1/2 cup diced carrot (optional)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
Bread crumbs or cheese to top squash (optional)

Cut acorn squash in half, remove seeds and 'guts'. Place face down in a baking dish and add 1/4 inch water to the bottom of the dish. Bake at 425 degrees for 35 minutes until squash is tender and water has evaporated, but hull of squash is still firm.
While the squash is baking, saute onions and carrots until tender. Add and brown turkey, then the celery and apple.
Remove squash from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Carefully flip squash over and scoop squash out of the hull; incorporate into the turkey mixture. Try to leave a small wall of squash in the hull to help maintain the shape of your squash.
Once your squash has been thoroughly incorporated into the turkey mixture, season, and then spoon the stuffing back into the squash. Top squash with bread crumbs or cheese and bake for another 20 minutes or until top is golden brown.

I made this quite a bit differently than the several recipes I found online (I totally eliminated stuffing/bread products which most other recipes called for) - let me know if you try the recipe, I would love to know your thoughts!

No comments: