Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Spaghetti Squash

See that spaghetti squash hanging out there behind my surprise flowers? Yeah, you've got it, that yellow bit there in the basket. I neglected to take a before pic, this was the best I could do, I was too enamored with the flowers David brought home for me! lol...

Anyway, I feel that fall brings squash, baking, all things hearty and warm, and while I am trying to keep motivated on the gym (kicking my butt) and weight loss (I really would like a cookie) fronts, I thought I would share a healthy fall recipe!

Baked Spaghetti Squash
1 medium to large spaghetti squash (this size equals four large servings, but you can use any sized squash, I have made small ones for just one meal, but they take awhile to bake, so I like leftovers)
2 Tbsp butter
4 cloves garlic
2 tsp Italian seasoning

The baking process is simple, slice the ends of your squash off, and then slice the squash in half lengthwise. Do not cut the squash up in bits, this will just leave you with a mess of short spaghetti strands.

Scoop out the guts and add the butter, garlic and herbs. Place the squash cut side down in a baking dish. Add approximately a half inch of water to the bottom of your dish.

Bake in a 425 degree oven for approximately an hour. Your spaghetti should be al dente and the water evaporated.

Using a fork, gently break away the 'spaghetti' from the hull of the squash.
I love to top this with tomato sauce, ground turkey and some red pepper flakes (it is JUST like spaghetti!), David loves to mix it with a little butter, garlic, shrimp and broccoli.
Anyway you top it though, this is good stuff! :)

No comments: