Wednesday, November 2, 2011

5K recap and thoughts on winter running

I LOVED running the Run Scared 5K on Sunday! 
I had a little bowl of granola before we headed over to Seward Park where the race was being held, it seemed to take forever to get there and I was nervous!  David dropped me off, parked and made it back just in time to catch the start.  It was a cold morning and with the nerves I was shivering pretty hard, but in no time we were off!  I started with the 12 minute mile group and held my own pretty well, but had totally forgotten about the garmin.  :(  I kind of fumbled around with it while the first mile surprised me with two pretty steep hills.  Truthfully when everyone around me (and the girls I had decided to pace myself with) started walking I almost did it just out of habit!  I frequently take walking brakes of just a block when running outside, but my goal for this race was to RUN the whole thing.   I was just doing it for myself, I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it, and you know what?  I totally did!
I loved the costumes, cute dogs and snepits of conversations as I passed people (!!!) and beautiful scenery.  All of these delightful distractions allowed me to totally forget that I was working hard and running faster than I ever have - I sped up as I approached the finish line and my legs felt great!  I really felt like I could have gone another couple of miles, and now I want to! 
So here comes the debate, I don't know how to run in cold weather, and baby it's cold outside!  :)  do I stick to treadmill work (and intense sessions with my trainer) or try winter running?  I don't want to get sick, and I fell pretty badly (twice) during a run in August when I was trying to push myself.   Let me tell ya, road rash is NOT FUN!
....but I loved the race and being surrounded by runners!  I need some running buddies!  :)  What do you think?  Any winter running tips for this newbie?  :)



No comments: