Thursday, July 2, 2009

aka Cherry Dump Cake?

Before leaving for our San Juan Island Vacation Weekend, I had cleaned out the fridge (using the ricotta) and freezing some leftover cherries. Yesterday being David's birthday (and today I have a potluck at work calling for the leftovers!) I made a 'cherry cobbler' that distinctly reminded me of an old recipe I used to have for a dump cake - it was so easy, and very very tasty! :)

Fresh Cherry Cobbler
1/2 cup butter (one stick)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar (I used a 1/2 cup white and a 1/2 cup brown)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
I also added about 1 1/2 sliced almonds - this is optional, and just an addition that I made to the recipe :)
2 cups pitted cherries (I didn't measure, but probably had about 3 cups)
3/4 cup white sugar (I maybe used 1/4 cup sugar for this part)
1 tbsp all-purpose flour (this time I happened to grab wheat flour)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place butter in a 9x13 inch baking dish and place in the oven to melt while oven is preheating. (Cut up the butter, otherwise it wont melt fast enough, and yes, the dough will really fill that size of dish) Remove as soon as butter has melted, about 5 minutes (I didn't let my butter brown, but may try it next time!) :)
In a medium bowl stir together 1 cup of the flour, 1 cup of the sugar and the baking powder. Mix in the milk until well blended then pour the patter into the pan over the butter. Do not stir. (Here is were you start to question the amount of butter floating in the dish, never fear, all will be well!) Sprinkle almonds (or nut of your choice) on top of the batter if you are adding them.
Toss the cherries with the remaining sugar and flour, distribute evenly over the batter. Do not stir.
Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until golden brown. A toothpick should come out clean.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How fortuitous! I *HAVE* a bunch of cherries I need to use and thought I'd have to freeze! ;D Thanks lovely, for this wonderful looking recipe....I'm off to make it! (After I shower of course....slow morning....) ;) Jess